Monday, May 24, 2010

Internet Slang

I have no problem with the term LOL, but just be aware that by using it you are contributing to the death of the English language.
Have you ever gotten a text message form a friend that looks like this? “hi w84me @ pub 2nite, t2ul8r”. Before I got it translated I did not know if they were trying to talk to me, or send me nuclear launch codes. It was only once I had gotten the message back from the Australian army code braking division did I know what the hell it said. “Hi, wait for me at the pub tonight, talk to you later”
What is wrong with using more than 3 letters in a word these days? If Shakespeare was alive today and saw how much people are butchering the language, he might rethink his profession.
But the thing that really bugs me about internet slang is, I understand it! But I guess I should just shut up and accept that this is the new evolution of language, and that my grandkids will be studying us as we studied Shakespeare. I just really hope my blog is on the recommend reading list.
So until next time readers I will just say good day and t2ul8r

No comments:

Post a Comment