Monday, July 19, 2010

Animals

It is said that you should never smile at a crocodile, but why not? That could be the reason they are so pissed off, because everyone is being such a jerk to them all the time.
Being a city boy the closest I have ever come to seeing a wild animal is when my cat has a territorial fight with a rival neighbourhood cat. And I may or, may not have been chased by a kangaroo, depending on who tells the story.
Let’s talk about the food chain for a second; it is total human arrogance that puts us on top of it, that is all. Sure we have guns and all sorts of cool weapons like that. But if you put me in a cage match against a lion using only my bare hands, then I am afraid that I am not going to live up to my status in the food chain.
But I guess it is the fact that humans can buy animals and put them in cages, and do to them whatever you like that sets us apart. And that itself gets me thinking. How rich does a person have to be before they can own and entire species of animal. What amount of money does it take till you can say “Yes, I own ants, no not just 1 or 2 but the whole bloody lot of them” Perhaps then you could enjoy a picnic in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment